Cemetery opens daily at approximately 9:30 am and closes at 4:00 pm.
Since 2006 St Jude’s has made available a Memorial Garden off the Northern entrance to the Columbarium.
Here ashes can be placed in the garden and an inscription made on a small plaque on the garden edging.
This provides a pleasant garden space for ashes of loved ones, and opens out off the Columbarium to a garden area.
This facility is available to the Community.
This area complements the Columbarium in St Jude’s graveyard.
As with all burial areas here, all wording on plaques and Interment need to be in keeping with the Christian nature of the Cemetery and consistent with St Jude’s ethos.
- The Columbarium was opened in 1956, as a place where the ashes of loved ones can be interred.
- The Columbarium continues to be available to the Community, desiring to have ashes at St Jude’s.
- Niches are now available on the outer Northern wall over the Memorial Garden.
- In order to keep a uniform style of plaques, that outer wall will be of brass plaques with the stand out lettering.
Some further gravesites have now been made available in the historic St Jude’s Cemetery.
- Because of the limited numbers, these sites are available to Regular Parishioners.
- The sites can be applied for, through written application to the Rector & Parish Council, and reserved on the cemetery plan.
- The purchased right is a right of burial.
- If not used, this right needs to be renewed (no cost), by direct family descendants, after a period of 30 years, otherwise the right will be forfeited.
- One gravesite can be used to bury two people.
- New Grave Sites are usually 110 (or 109cm) x 230cm.
- As the site is a Heritage listed site, all monuments constructed have to be approved by both the Heritage Council and the Parish Council.
- The costs of Grave digging and monumentation are met by the purchaser at the time of use.
- The monies raised from these sites will contribute to the improvement and upkeep of this historic Church and grounds.
- A new fence has now been built around the property – funded by St Jude’s and Randwick City Council whom we thank for their contribution.
- During Spring the wildflowers are left to grow as they make a lovely display of a number of rare plants.
Costs (as of 1 January 2018)
$1320 – (plus plaque and fitting)
$1760 – (plus plaque and fitting)
POA – (plus monumentation)
Ashes in Older Grave sites
$1760 – (plus plaque and fitting)
Ashes of direct relatives may be placed in older grave sites with permission from any next of kin and the Parish Council.
Care of Historic Area
Grave sites and lawns are currently being enthusiastically cared for by members of the church community.
Families of loved ones are invited to help maintain the area, by helping at the monthly Working Bees on the first Saturday of each month 8:30 am to 10:30 am followed by Morning Tea.This is greatly appreciated.
104 Avoca St
Randwick NSW 2031
PO Box 287
Randwick NSW 2031
Rector: Rev Andrew Schmidt
The Cemetery and Columbarium
The cemetery occupies an area of approximately 0.96 hectares and fronts The Avenue to the west. It extends for the full width of the site at the rear of the church, rectory, verger’s residence and hall. The cemetery has been closed for some considerable period and since the beginning of this century, due primarily to the threat of pollution in the surface water running to the low level catchment areas about Centennial Park.
Due to the nature of the development in and about the Randwick-Coogee ridge the area prospered with settlers of the aristocratic merchant and legal class. and this generally set the pattern for the type of landholder and quality of residence constructed in the district.
St. Jude’s Cemetery became the burial around for some very well-known people of the colony. Amongst these were:-
- Jane Barker – Wife of Bishop Barker, being the founder of St. Catherine’s School,Waverley.
- Sir Frederick William Pottinger, Baronet, who led an unusual and colourful life as a New South Wales Police Officer, after a career in England in the Grenadier Guards. The original “blind Freddie” who lost Ben Hall the Bushranger.
- Sir Alfred Stephen, Lieutenant-Governor and Chief Justice of the colony and his son, the Rev. Alfred Stephen.
- Sir Edward Deas Thomson, Colonial Secretary and son-in-law of Governor Bourke.
- Mrs. Ann Hordern, wife of Anthony Hordern, matriarch of Retail dynasty
- Sir Edward Knox
- Henry Mort, and members of the Mort family.
- Charles D’Arcy Wentworth
- Alex Playfair, and members of the Playfair family
- J. H. Hollingsworth
- Archdeacon Cowper – Rector of St Phillip’s Church, Sydney
- Mr. Justice Cheeke
- Terrence Aubrey Murray, President of the Legislative Council of N.S.W.
- Daintrey Family grave
- John Edwin Irwin, first commander of the N.S.W. Naval Brigade
- Miss Mary Ann Flower, Governess to Governor Fitzroy’s family
- Sir James Martin, a Chief-Justice of N.S.W.
- Sir William Manning, Attorned-General, Supreme Court Judge and Chancellor of Sydney University
- Archibald Mosman, after whom the suburb of Mosman is named
- Thomas Ware Smart, member of Legislative Council of New South Wales
- Robert Johnson, member of Legislative Council of New South Wales
- Obed West, prominent historian of Old Sydney
- Simeon Pearce and members of the Pearce family
- Benjamin Darley, founder of the Sydney Stock Exchange
- William Busby, overseer of Busby’s Bore Project
- Former Rectors:
W. H. McCormack, (first Rector),
Stanley Mitchell (headstone but buried at sea),
Zachary Barry, William Hough,
R C Lovitt
The cemetery itself is quite well kept, and lawns are mowed regularly by the parish. The Mosman grave is under perpetual care by the Mosman Council.
- The cemetery is well kept and maintained, boarded about by large well developed Moreton Bay fig trees.
- A Columbarium, constructed in brickwork was erected and dedicated in 1956.
- A Memorial Garden was Completed in 2006 and adds a pleasant restful place with seating.